Sunday 26 June 2011

Virtual Event Fatigue & Why Simple is Sometimes Best

I haven't written and published a blog entry for some time. I've started a few.........but never finished them or was never really convinced they added anything to the 'virtual event debate'.
If I'm really honest, I also think I'm a little frustrated with what I see as a lack of innovation in virtual events and the platforms on offer. I read some excellent discussions on industry sites and LinkedIn groups, but I don't seem to find any evidence of implementation - new events approached in an novel way, game changing functionality, experimental user interfaces,etc.
What has prompted me to write again, was an e-mail from a colleague asking what I thought of the experience provided by the following link: http://tradeshow.globalsources.com/TRADESHOW/HONGKONG-SECURITY-PRODUCTS/ONLINE-APR/ONLINESHOW.HTM?source=TSCHKCSFSP_HOME
Please take a look. Let me know what you think.
At first, I must admit, I saw the platform and immediately wrote it off as far too basic, but the more I looked, the more I liked it purely because it is so simple, easy to navigate and so 'literal'. It is not really a virtual 'event' platform but more a 'virtual exhibition hall' that is a photographic record of the physical exhibitor's presence. The platform presents you with a simple carousel (you can see why this made me happy by taking a look at my previous blog entry on 28/11/2010 - 'Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder') of the exhibitors stands/booths, and by clicking on an exhibitor, you are presented with multiple photos of an actual, physical, exhibition stand. If you see a thumbnail that interests you (view of the stand or product for example), click on it and you are given more information. Want to get in touch with someone? There is a simple 'Inquire Now' button which brings up a contact form.
I'm not saying that the simplest solution is always the best, but, maybe we would do well to remember that that is where we should probably start, and let the needs of our exhibitors and visitors define any additional requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment